Tuesday, March 17, 2015

WEEK 5 "Sumunod kayo sa akin"

Family and friends,
 
 This hasn't been a very busy week but much has still been accomplished. I have learned so much in my studies this week that has brought me to a conclusion that the Gospel of Jesus Christ has no imperfections just as does the Savior himself have no imperfections. 
 
There was a family that had made an appointment for us to go teach with them without making us aware of it. We didn't make that as part of our plans obviously, because we didn't know about it. We never showed up to the appointment and the family got offended and wasn't very happy with us. They wouldn't talk to us at church so we approached them about what was going on. They explained to us what had happened and we explained ours to them. This family has done so much for us with a home to teach our investigators and referrals and we don't want to lose that with them. We had heard from another member that they said they might lose our trust because of what had happened.
 
It came to me and my companion in our studies that though we may not be in the wrong or we may not always be liked that we were called to "....proclaim the gospel with power and authority." That power and authority is the Priesthood, “the authority and power that God gives to man to act in all things for the salvation of man.” We represent Jesus Christ and we need to share his message. 

In 2 Nephi 31 its the Doctrine of Christ. It talks about baptism but and how to gain salvation. The Lord says "follow thou me." Hes talking about baptism and that we should FOLLOW HIS EXAMPLE. As I thought about what we could do to help this family so we could keep their trust, this is what came to mind. "Follow thou me." I shared this with the family and explained that Jesus Christ wants us to further His work here on this earth and follow Him. It didn't have any reference to what happened earlier that week. The mother looked at me and said, "We all need to follow Christ and strive to be perfect. Im sorry for what happened. I understand that you had no control over it." I then knew at that moment that if we will follow Jesus Christ, the promptings we receive, and always strive to be worthy priesthood holders, we will be filled with the spirit and say what needs to be said when it needs to be said. 

The weather here is getting super hot. Apparently its becoming summer time which makes no sense because its always super hot haha. The humidity is really starting to make its self known. As soon as you get out of the shower and get dry, you sweat so much getting your clothes on that it was pointless to shower haha. The positive side to the weather is that everyone wants to stay inside. When they see us walking down the street they want to know why we're so crazy to be out in the heat. We tell them we have a message to share and then they have us come in to get out of the sun. Use your surroundings to your advantage, the gospel is everywhere haha. When we go to bed at night its about 75% humidity and 87 degrees, in the middle of the day its about 88% humidity and 96 degrees, its only going to get hotter. I wish I could share it with everyone in the snow.

Thank you all for you emails and prayers. I love hearing about your experiences. Further the work as members and as Christ said, "Follow thou me." I love you.

Elder O'Neil